:: Other :: The Garage

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shading The Tail Lights. - Legal?

Post  Random Hero on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Looking to "tint" my tail lights. Been told to use Nite Shade
[Cant post external link - Google: Nite Shade, First link] Suspect
Thats what it does

Anyone know if this is illegal in QLD? Ive seen a couple of commy's getting around with them, but still unsure.
Random Hero
Getting there
Getting there

View user profile http://paulydiscounted.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Shading The Tail Lights. - Legal?

Post  Admin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Its fine aslong as they are still visible when you put your brakes on etc, some people who make them dark replace the globes with super bright LED replacement globes to help shine through if they end up with to many coats.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://dubaustralia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Random Hero on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:05 pm

Alright, thanks. I might look into it. - Wont be going super dark, like in the pic, just enough to tint 'em.
Random Hero
Getting there
Getting there

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Yeh just make sure it ain't windy or you do it in a garage etc. And cover up the surrounding panels, do nice even coats and sometimes people even do a light clear coat over the top to get a nice shine. Thats what i done on my mates VE came out tops.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 pm

illegal... in every state of Australia...

not only illegal but also dangerous, it's not to bad at night, but during the day others simply can't see when your braking... as it's an illegal modification which effects other drivers visibility of you, you can't claim the old "they ran up my arse, so it's their fault" as it's not the case, as you've purposely modified the lights you cop the full extent of the law, unlike broken tail lights etc, if you car is insured, you won't be covered at all with tinted tail lights... whether your at fault or not...

if you want dark tail lights, buy ADR approved tail lights from Autobarns, or go to the expense of having some made up and sent for approval...
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Admin wrote:Yeh just make sure it ain't windy or you do it in a garage etc. And cover up the surrounding panels, do nice even coats and sometimes people even do a light clear coat over the top to get a nice shine. Thats what i done on my mates VE came out tops.

douche, you don't use nightshade on the outside of your tail lights... you have to pull the assembly apart and spray it from the inside... the lens, not the reflectors...

spraying it on the outside is useless, as it has a matt finish, and isn't weather proof...
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:19 pm

We did a clear coat over the top and still looks the same after 6 months lol.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Admin wrote:We did a clear coat over the top and still looks the same after 6 months lol.

weather proof and lasting 6months+ are 2 different things... lol

it's like tinting windows... the film goes on the inside, infact anytime you apply anything to glass (or clear plastics), it goes on the inside... light should travel thru whatever your applying, BEFORE the smooth glass, that way the glass still appears smooth, while only effecting the colour, not the refracting of the light off the final source...
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Random Hero on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 pm

i saw one of my mates do his, just over facebook but, and he did it straight ontop. lasted him 3 years so far, and this is parking it outside, sun, rain, etc.
Random Hero
Getting there
Getting there

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:14 pm

cool... what do i know...? lol

go ahead with your tinting sir... over the top with a finish which will in no way negatively effect the look of your car, and certainly won't make your car a defect or a danger on the road...

Twisted Evil
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Random Hero on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Your sarcasm is unwanted.

I never said you were wrong, I was just saying what my mate did.

If I do end up doing this, I'll spray from the inside. As for defection and insurance... Thats a lovely little risk stupid teenagers like myself like to take.
Random Hero
Getting there
Getting there

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:45 am

Random Hero wrote:Your sarcasm is unwanted.

I never said you were wrong, I was just saying what my mate did.

If I do end up doing this, I'll spray from the inside. As for defection and insurance... Thats a lovely little risk stupid teenagers like myself like to take.

isn't this a forum without the politics, and somewhere i can say fuck etc...?

i think my sarcasm was more than warranted...

at the end of the day 99% of people all spray it over the top of their lense, i'm not saying you HAVE To do it properly, in fact in my 1st post i made it clear how i feel about tools with blacked out lenses...

but what gets me is why you would post up a thread asking about the legalities, and then when someone comes on and gives you that information, along with advice on how to properly apply the stuff if you do decide to go ahead with it, that you feel the need to argue the point? because a mates has done it all before...?

we here in the car audio industry get it ll the time....

"why are you soldering those wires? my mate did my last headunit and he just twisted them together and taped them up..."

"why are you making a seperate panel to mount the amp? my mate just screws it into the back of the sub box..."

" 0awg cable? why would i need that, my mate just runs his 2000rms system off 8awg and it's fine, so powerful it dims his lights so bad, it's awesome..."

stuff like that, we get it all the time, at the end of the day, just because your mate has done something, doesn't mean that it's right, or even close to right...
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Random Hero on Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 am

yeah man, I fully agree with you.

lol sorry if I gave the wrong impression, was only fuckin' around in my last post. i dont like to argue with people, only friendly debates... if you get me.. haha

have a good one Wink
Random Hero
Getting there
Getting there

Back to top Go down

Post  Andorz on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:52 pm

haha, i done a dodgy and sprayed mine on the outside..
from a distance it looks pretty good, Up close it looks matt
>.< 1up for lunchbox!^ =P RAGGE

Andorz
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheyDontWantMusic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Lunchbox wrote:

douche, you don't use nightshade on the outside of your tail lights... you have to pull the assembly apart and spray it from the inside... the lens, not the reflectors...

spraying it on the outside is useless, as it has a matt finish, and isn't weather proof...

this isn't really lunchbox is it...

firstly, its not illegal, I went through a roadworthy inspection with pretty heavily tinted tail lights on my Aristo.

secondly, its meant to be sprayed on the outside of the lights, pulling the lights apart and painting the inside black wouldn't tint them, it would just stop the light getting through.

TheyDontWantMusic
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 pm

It is really him, but you do have a point on spraying the inside not really giving a proper tint effect.

It's illegal if there fully blacked out, but maybe its classed as mod and makes them not ADR Approved, most places don't follow ADR approval with cars using after market lights etc.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheyDontWantMusic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Admin wrote:It is really him, but you do have a point on spraying the inside not really giving a proper tint effect.

It's illegal if there fully blacked out, but maybe its classed as mod and makes them not ADR Approved, most places don't follow ADR approval with cars using after market lights etc.

its all about what distance you can see the lights from, you could make them pretty dark and still be legal, but you'd still run the risk of getting a defect for the simple fact that it draws more attention to your car.

obviously if you just paint them black, its not legal :p

TheyDontWantMusic
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 pm

"puts down black spray paint can"

Pfft there goes that idea Neutral haha
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheyDontWantMusic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:16 pm

not mine!

TheyDontWantMusic
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:55 pm

again, just because you went thru a roady with them tinted and they passed, means nothing... i've had my HQ passed at a roady, and that didn't even have tail lights (HQ wagon rear bumper) nor did it have springs (literally no springs, diff welded to the subframe)

passing a roadworthy, and being roadworthy are 2 different things...

and yes it is me James, i'm just being more of a dick on this forum than i usually am... lol light gives your tail lights their colour, during the day it's the light that shines thru them from outside that give them colour, at night it comes from inside the lense... you stop the transmission of light from either direction and you reduce the colour... simple...

some lenses (much older ones) won't work as well as others, as the lense has more of an opaque finish, in these cases tinting them needs tobe done on the outside, but they look shitty and the lifespan isn't great... might last a few years without issue, sometimes less depending on your application...

the OP's lenses are better suited to being sprayed from the inside...
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheyDontWantMusic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm not talking about a "roadworthy" like you have in victoria, where you give a dodgy mechanic an extra $100 to pass you, I mean a proper roadworthy.

Its quite possible that the laws vary from state to state.

TheyDontWantMusic
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:06 pm

it IS possible that they vary, but as far as i know australia wide, all lighting needs to be within a specified lumins range, both in brightness and spread... as well as the physical height of the lights...

when my corona got defected the ride height was 100% legal, within 1 meter either side of the axles was above 100mm, but the center of the car was 88mm off the deck, which is legal, the cops ended up dicking me because my tail lights were 20mm lower than legally approved within the ADR's... sure enough there is actually a rule stating height...

rules regarding lighting is some of the more stringent part of the ADR's...

but as you say, it may be a case of Vic enforcing it more etc... but who knows...
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheyDontWantMusic on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Lunchbox wrote:it IS possible that they vary, but as far as i know australia wide, all lighting needs to be within a specified lumins range, both in brightness and spread...

in which case, if you tint the lenses, you can replace the globes with brighter ones, and still be within specs.

TheyDontWantMusic
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lunchbox on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:52 pm

TheyDontWantMusic wrote:
in which case, if you tint the lenses, you can replace the globes with brighter ones, and still be within specs.

not always the case...

in respect to windows, plain glass lets in around 80% light, if you apply 30% tint which is still quite visible thru, you need and 120% light to reach the same luminosity thru the glass, as a standard sheet of glass which allows 80% light thru...
or something along those lines, my head hurts already... but basically it means you can't just put in brighter globes... well you CAN, but it doesn't always mean it's legal...

i'm 99.9% sure that you can't actually modify tail lights at all... they all need ADR approval... i know you can't just use a standard tail light housing and make your own LED tail lights (individual LED's, not the LED cluster globes, tho they need ADR approval too, but only on the unit, not the fitment)
Lunchbox
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  089JAY on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am

The other thing that also come into play and the reason I copped a defect in my Falcon (Tinted tail-lights) is the reflector...
089JAY
n00b
n00b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next